international catalogue

North America catalog

LED-lighting: lifespan and replaceability

LED lighting is gaining in popularity. This is not that surprising since this type of lighting is a lot more energy efficient and sustainable than the alternatives such as fluorescent lighting. In addition, LED lighting also lasts a lot longer, which in turn has a positive effect on your expenses.

In this blogpost we would like to tell you a bit more about how LED lighting works, what its lifespan is and how replaceable it is.

What is LED lighting?

LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. It’s a form of lighting that doesn’t involve filament nor fluorescence but can rather be seen as an electronic component that emits a large amount of light when electricity passes through it. 

There’re many differences between LED lighting and other lighting solutions such as fluorescent lamps, halogen lamps, energy-saving lamps and incandescent lamps. The biggest difference is undoubtedly the fact that one LED lamp directs light, while the other lamps emit light in all directions and thus illuminate 360 °. This means that LED lighting can be used in a much more targeted manner.

What’s the lifespan of LED lighting?

The average lifespan of LED lighting is at least 35,000 hours. To give you a better idea of how long this actually is: 50,000 hours is roughly the equivalent of 5,7 years if your lighting was on continuously, 24 hours a day. If your lighting only lights up 18 hours a day, the lifespan of your LED lamp corresponds to about 7.6 years, 12 hours a day with an average of 11.4 years.

The long lifespan of LED lighting is in great contrast with other lamps such as the halogen lamp with a lifespan of 2000 hours. LED lighting also lasts no less than 25 times longer than the classic incandescent lamp, which nevertheless produces the same amount of light.

led lighting-lifespan

Which factors influence the lifespan of the LED lighting?

Not only the lifespan of LED lighting is significantly different from that of other types of lighting, but also the way in which the lamps break. Contrary to what we are used to with lighting, the light output of LED lamps will gradually decrease instead of suddenly malfunction. Also, the lifespan of LED lighting is expressed in the number of lumens, for example L70. With L70 the lamp still has 70% light output, or the other way around, there is a 30% reduction in light output.

Of course, there are some external factors that can affect the lifespan of LED lighting:

  • Higher temperatures in the room

The ambient temperature for LED lighting should not exceed 50°. When LED lighting is installed in a room where ambient temperatures are too high, such as on an extractor hood or sauna, it can reduce the lifespan of LED lighting.

  • Electrical voltage


Connecting LED lights to electricity higher than prescribed for LEDs can cause the LED lights to get too hot. This creates an additional load on the lighting, which can also reduce the lifespan. This is usually the case when incorrect drivers are used.

  • Thermal management of the LED lamps

LED bulbs do not produce much heat themselves, but the printed circuit board on which the LED semiconductor is mounted, does. You can compare it to a laptop that feels warm when you hold it on your lap, but the keyboard remains cool. Good thermal management must ensure that the lamps do not overheat so that they do not fail prematurely.

LED lighting and replaceability

The degree to which you can easily replace LED lighting yourself depends on how the lighting is constructed. You can screw in and replace LED lamps that are supplied without a luminaire. Even with LED lighting that is already integrated in a luminaire, you can replace the LED module yourself. Fortunately, integrated LED lighting lasts a lot longer than separate LED lamps, on average around 30,000 hours, depending on the LED chips used.

Would you like more information about the lifespan and replaceability of LED lighting? Or are you curious about the range of LED lamps from kreon? Then contact us quickly. We would be happy to discuss the options for LED lighting at your home or office.

download the tools of light catalogue

Back to blog overview